"Digital technology reduces production cycle time--from
author delivery to first- edition print--by allowing the 'just in time'
publishing of books, complete with a variety of binding solutions, in
short production runs." --Xerox Corp.
Promised benefits to book publishers:
• print only what you need
• reduced inventory and storage costs "because there is
• no more obsolescent books because content is instantly
• no more out-of-print books because the electronic
manuscript is always ready to be printed on demand
• "evergreen backlist" from which titles never have to
be dropped unless their intellectual property is allowed to become
• easy and cheap to produce comp copies and author's
• easy to add color by binding signatures or tipping in
inserts from digital color printers
to Session 9